Monday, August 18, 2014

Don't Forget To Take Time To Stop And Smell The Newsprint

One of my Monday responsibilities is to post the stories to Facebook from today's issue. This has given me the opportunity to read the columns done by my fellow writers, something that I didn't always accomplish earlier on. This Monday's opinion page is particularly good. Three in particular caught my attention.

Pavel Slepicka did a story on a historic photo that came in that documented Charles Lindbergh stopping off at the booming metropolis that is Sorento. Link: My Turn

Patricia Brink heartwarmingly wrote about taking "mental pictures" of a family gathering. Link: "Pen To Paper"

The third is the memorial prayer from the Old Settlers community church service, which I heard Mary read twice - once at the service and once the day before for practice. While the written version lacks something that the spoken version has, especially when my beautiful wife does it, it's still a great way to remember those who have left this earth for greener pastures. I was particularly touched that Mr. D (Ron Deabenderfer, the prayer writer) included my grandfather, who passed away last winter. Link: Memorial Prayer

I don't always like everything that my contemporaries do (usually, but not always), but these three really caught my attention in different ways - mainly through my thirst for knowledge  and through my heart.

The columns done by Pavel and Mrs. Brink in particular made me want to get back to column writing, which has been a casualty of a rather hectic schedule that will only become more so when the high school sports season starts in a couple hours. Hopefully I'll be able to find time to knock out a few "Center & Guard" pieces in the near future. If not, hopefully I can put my own unique stamp on my other work, however small that stamp may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment