Friday, July 18, 2014

Ready Or Not - Most Likely Not

It has been approximately two weeks since my last update and I'm here to tell you that I'm in the best shape of my life and I am ready for the Big Dawg Dare, which is about 10 hours away.

Of course that's a huge lie. I fell off the proverbial workout wagon around the same time my blog posts stopped. At first the reason for the slow down was due to my knee, which politely asked me to stop running by sending sharp pains to my brain any time I moved it. Once the pain was gone, we went on  vacation, which is not a great excuse, but it's the one I am using.

I'm also blaming vacation for my horrendous eating habits. If God didn't want people to be fat, he wouldn't have created Pappy's Smokehouse and Donut Stop, which are two of my new favorite places.

On the bright side, I know I can do this tomorrow. They may have to time me with a sundial but I can do it. The key is just going to be to keep moving and don't let myself get too down. Even if I walk the entire race, that's still an accomplishment just to finish. But for the record, I won't walk the whole thing and plan to push myself to do my best. 

Another positive note is that I've decided to not make the same mistake I did after my first 5k. I thought I would be able to take some time off then restart running, even if I didn't have another 5k in mind. The break came, but the restart never did. To prevent history from repeating itself, I've already picked out my next race, which will be a 5k for autism awareness with my sister Mikaela, who is also doing the Big Dawg Dare with me as well.

I take a small amount of credit in getting Mikaela hooked on running (the first 5k she did was the one I did as well), but she's a big reason why I am trying to get back in shape through running. Her commitment to a healthier lifestyle and her improvement in the races she has done since the first one is inspiring and had brought us closer together.

That's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the race tomorrow. I know that whether it takes me 40 minutes or four hours, it's going to be a lot of fun and something my family and I will always remember. See you at the finish line!

Days 'til the Dare: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment