Thursday, July 3, 2014

Yes Wii Can

I had every intention of running today, but it just didn't work out. Grace had physical therapy this morning so I delayed my run until after work. Usually this would be a terrible idea due to the sweltering July heat, but today's weather cooperated and I head out to Beckemeyer around 5:30.

I started out just walking, partly because I was talking to Mary on the phone, but also because my knees felt like an 88 year old man. And by that, I mean they feel the same way an 88 year old man's knees might feel. I don't go around feeling 88 year old men. Just wanted to make that clear.

After three laps, I felt like I should do some running, so I made my way out to the goals for some off asphalt work. I ran the first three rounds straight through, going down and back and down again before walking back to my original starting spot. My knees hurt a little, but I figured I was good to go.

Wrong. I tried again and my left knee revolted. Nothing popped, nothing snapped, nothing shot out of my skin like a catapult full of cartilage. It just hurt. Kind of a lot. So I quit while I was ahead, or at least before I got behind.

Instead, Mary and I decided to do some cross  training  with a Wii Sports tournament after Grace went to bed. If you haven't caught on yet, anything but sitting on the couch, I now consider cross training.

We played a couple games of tennis bowling and the fitness test (26 mother truckers!), all of which I destroyed Mary in. While I didn't get a whole lot of excercise from it, unlike Mary, who plays tennis like she's actually in the court, running the living room like her glory days as HHS  tennis MVP in 1998, I did have a lot of fun. Except when Mary clubbed me with her controller during a particularly spirited rally. That kinda hurt.

Regardless of whether this helps me at the Big Dawg Dare (it won't), I had a blast and I'll be ready to train again after somebody takes the hot knife out of my leg. 

Days til the Dare: 16

Selfie after our epic Wii Sports tournament, which I won with ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment