Thursday, June 26, 2014

I Would Do Anything For Love...

So for the first time in almost a week, I made it back out to the track at Beckemeyer on Thursday. For whatever reason, my motivation really waned over the last seven days - partly due to lack of sleep and partly due to lack of effort on my part.

But today I decided to get back on the proverbial horse, waking up at 7:30 and doing six laps at the elementary school. While my running is really more of a jog and I only did both straightaways for the first three laps (and just running the front straightaway on the other three), it did feel good to get back outside and be active.

The biggest reason for my renewed vigor today came from a conversation with Litchfield wrestling coach Brian Lee on Wednesday. Brian and I were discussing our chosen professions and our love for them, despite the fact we occasionally feel like seething stuck to the bottom of a show on some days. Despite some differences in our jobs, both of us pour almost every thing we have into the thing we love - wrestling for Brian and writing for me. 

As I was driving home from Litchfield, I began to think about our conversation. If I put that kind of effort into taking care of my work, why don't I put that kind of effort into taking care of myself. With my family history and current less than ideal lifestyle choices, I know that I need to make some changes if I'm going to be around as long as I'd like to be. Granted rolling out of bed instead of slapping the snooze button is a small victory, it is a victory nonetheless and even the longest races start with one single step.

Days til the Dare: 23

No comments:

Post a Comment