Saturday, June 21, 2014

The Grass Is Always Greener

Today started my first day of "cross training" for the Big Dawg Dare, although that wasn't really my intention. Originally the plan was to mow my yard in the morning, we were beginning to lose small objects and children in the overgrowth, then squeeze a run in between the Raymond truck pulls and the MCCA Celebration of Life.

That plan went south when I didn't start mowing until 10:30 a.m. and stopped at noon to eat lunch with Mary and Grace. I still probably had a half hours work left to do, which would have cut me pretty close if I would have tried to sandwich in a run. 

So I cut my losses and tried to think positively. I always mow my front yard with the push mower but did even more today, basically because it felt good to be up and moving. My original plan was to finish off the back with my rider but my mower had other ideas. I had issues with it dying two mows ago, but last week it ran like a top. Not so much this week.

I made two passes when the old girl died and wouldn't start back up. In reality, it was kind of a blessing in disguise as I was contemplating pushing the whole thing anyway. So rather than ride along the last few laps, I pushed it. I know that push mowing isn't necessarily strenuous excercise, but I figured it would be good for me even if it didn't prep me for the race.

Push mowing wasn't my only "cross training" on the day though, somehow my mower managed to die on the side of a small hill next to my house, which along with the sloped driveway made pushing my rider a little interesting. Ultimately though, the yard was mowed, I got a little excercise in and I discovered how nice it was to just be up and active. 

In fact, unless I'm in a hurry, I will probably push mow the whole thing the rest of the year, which may be required if my mower continues to be nothing more than an oversized lawn ornament. Herschelman curse - we get great parking spots, but everything mechanical we own breaks down. Such is life.

Days til the Dare: 28

My training partner/new push mower.

No comments:

Post a Comment